Our move was a weekend away. Friday we were moving all the wine. I had a crazy idea to do one last Zin tasting on Saturday. I figured as long as we kept it simple, like ordering pizza, it would be a welcome break from the the moving. I pinged Ted Wednesday night. He was game. He offered his place in order to save a dog sitter. I was cool with this, but he had to agree I could pay for the pizza. He did. I had a zin tasting ready to go, but would only do it if Jose were involved. Jose used to be big into Zins, he's now more into Cabs. I pinged Jose. He was in too. It was on!
I had a zin tasting in the cellars, yet another inspired by the 2021 SF Chronicle Wine Competition results. I had never tried any of the wines.
- Wilson Winery, Sydney's Reserve - 2021 SF Chronicle Wine Competition Best of Class Medal Winner
- Rockpile Vineyards, Florence - 2021 SF Chronicle Wine Competition Double Gold Medal Winner
- Robert Biale Vineyards, Black Chicken - I've been telling Jose we need to try this wine for years. It shows up on a lot of best of lists
- Once and Future Zinfandel Bedrock Vineyard 2018
- Made by the original owner of Ravenswood. I heard about this in a video: Why California Wine Companies See Opportunity in IPO Boom
Ted had a couple of bottles he wanted to share, so I was supposed to bring only two bottles. I knew I wanted to bring the Best of Class and Black Chicken, but I also wanted to bring the Once and Future, so I did.
Ted was set up for four wines, so he randomly chose two of the three I had brought. It was a warm day. We started with a refreshing Savvy B from Halleck.
We had a great time tasting with everyone.
W - 2018 Wilson, Sydney's Reserve, Dry Creek Valley came in first place with an average of 4.14. It cost $60 directly from the winery.
Z - 2019 Robert Biale Vineyards, Black Chicken, Napa Valley came in second place with an average of 3.98. It cost $50 directly from the winery.
Y - 2016 Taft Street, Alexander Valley came in third place with an average of 3.55.
X - 2017 Dutton-Golfield, Dutton Ranch, Morelli Lane Vineyard, Russian River Valley came in last place with an average of 3.18.
The Zins were all really good.
I DoorDashed Round Table Pizza, which was enjoyed with a salad Shannon made from vegetables out of their garden. We also enjoyed a GrGich Zin Jose brought and the Once and Future.